Ok, so I have to admit, I made this about 4 months ago and completely forgot to post it because of finals and such, but I am posting it now because it was an absolutely AMAZING recipe. As many of my friends know, I am not a huge fan of pasta, but I see all kinds of pasta sauces I want to try. My solution? Spaghetti squash; similar texture to pasta, but rather than loading up my diet with carbs, I’m eating veggies instead! Good deal!
I came across this avocado dressing recipe while roaming the abyss of Pinterest one night and I decided that I HAD to try it, seeing as avocado is one of my all-time favorite foods. I also decided to add some more texture to this dish by throwing in some seasoned ground beef. Overall, this dish came out REALLY GOOD! I haven’t had time to make it again, but it is definitely at the top of my list!
Here is the recipe for Spaghetti Squash with Avocado Dressing
For the Squash
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt (table sale is fine)
- Italian Seasoning (optional)
- Cookie sheet
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- CAREFULLY cut the squash in half the long way
- Place the two halves on a cookie sheet, drizzle with Olive Oil, Salt and seasoning
- Do not scoop out the seeds yet, it is a lot easier to do after it has roasted for a bit.
- Roast the squash for about an hour, remove from the oven
- Use a fork and lightly scrape the top layer from one end to the other, all the seeds should come up with it.
- Discard the seeds and top layer. Loosen up the sides and bottom a little bit, return the oven and bake for 20 more minutes
- Scrape the squash out into a bowl.
For Ground Beef
- ½ pound ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp grill seasoning
Brown meat in pan and add seasonings listed above. Once meat is cooked, combine with squash.
For Avocado Dressing
- 1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1-3 garlic cloves, to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour sauce on spaghetti squash and meat and toss until fully combined. Serve immediately.
dressing recipe courtesy of http://ohsheglows.com
I loved the combination of the textures in this recipe. You’ve got the creaminess of the avocado, the slight crunch from the squash, and the amazing meaty goodness of the well-seasoned beef. All-in-all, a wonderful meal! I will definitely be using avocado in more dressings in the future!