I have always loved the amazing taste of pumpkin pie. It reminds me of beautiful fall days and getting together with family and friends for the holidays. But the problem I always have with pie is that it is served as dessert. Being such a foodie, I am usually too full from an amazing dinner to have room in my stomach for pie. I can’t fully enjoy my pie if I’m already stuffed full from a previous meal. So this is the solution…have it for breakfast!! That way I can start the day with the delicious flavor of pumpkin and I can fully enjoy the taste of it because I will not be suffering from the food coma of a prior meal.
Because this recipe is the breakfast version of pumpkin pie, it is in the form of a muffin (a traditional breakfast food) but it still has all the flavors and spices that a normal pumpkin pie would have. It’s perfect for a crisp fall morning when I’m running to class and don’t have enough time to sit down and eat a bowl of cereal.
Here is the recipe for Pumpkin Pie Muffins
Pumpkin Pie Muffins
Makes about a dozen
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups flour
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, salt, and flour.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, and mix on low until just combined.
- Divide the batter among lined muffin tins, filling each cup ¾ full.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs.
Recipe courtesy of SnixyKitchen.com
Although pumpkin pie is a classic fall food, it is sometimes fun to present those flavors in a new way. I chose muffins because breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I hope you enjoy these muffins as much as I (and my roommates) did! Enjoy!